Connect with us

Crime

10 ex-governors linked with £56m properties in UK – Report

Published

on

Spread the love

There is a fresh report linking 10 former Nigerian governors to properties worth £56 million (about N30billion) in the United Kingdom.

The report on illicit financial flow (IFF) from Nigeria to the UK and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) also showed 216 properties were owned by 13 Nigerian law enforcement officers in the UAE.

The report, according to SaharaReporters, was presented at a media roundtable organised by the Human and Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA Resource Centre) in collaboration with the MacArthur Foundation.
Neither the identities of the former governors nor the venue of the roundtable was disclosed.

A don at the Kent Law School, University of Kent, UK, Dr. Gbenga Oduntan, presented the report titled, “Fixing Nigeria’s Illicit Financial Flows: A Critical Review of UK and UAE Policies, Laws and Practices.

Commenting on the report, Chairman of HEDA, Olanrewaju Suraju, said funds stolen from Nigeria and taken to the UK and UAE were mind-boggling.

He noted that both countries have become enablers of illicit funds and stressed the need to challenge external collaborators aiding the flow of illicit funds out of Nigeria.

“We should make it difficult for people to take out the proceeds of crimes,” he said, adding that the UK and UAE should protect their systems from “those toxic resources.”

Also Read:  Bayero University expels 24 students over results falsification

The HEDA chairman further noted that while over $50 billion is lost annually to IFF in Africa; Nigeria retains the lead among other African countries in the menace.

Stakeholders have however advocated for the creation of a tripartite anti-corruption task force for the three countries to stop the illicit financial flow.

Oduntan, who presented the research report, said apart from the huge amount of money illegally stashed abroad by politically exposed persons in Nigeria, $15bn alone is lost to tax evasion by multinationals in Nigeria.

In addition, he said there is heavy under-invoicing between Nigeria and the UK, adding that fixing Nigeria’s illicit financial flow would require the destination countries to collaborate with the country in shutting their systems against suspected proceeds of crimes.

He, however, lamented that this is not the case, saying, in UAE, findings showed that prosecution of money laundering cases was very low.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Crime

Afaka students: How Nigerian govt released notorious kidnapper, parents paid N32m ransom

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Detail has emerged as to a how Nigerian government released a notorious kidnapper in exchange for the freedom of the last of batch of 27 students of Federal College of Forestry, Afaka, abducted on March 11.

In a prisoner swap deal brokered by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, DAILY NIGERIAN learnt, the kidnapper simply identified as Nanono was transported from a detention facility in Kano, were he was being held, and handed over to a traditional ruler in Kaduna who acted as the middleman.
Parents and relatives of the victims were then left with the payment of N15m, in addition to the N17m they earlier paid for the release of the 10 of the students earlier released in two batches.

The parents first paid N17m last month for the release of the all the victims, but the kidnappers released 10 students in two batches, insisting that amount was too small.

In view of the kidnappers’ failure to meet the obligation, the parents insisted on a middleman for the second round of negotiations.

A security source involved in the negotiation confirmed that the kidnappers demanded the release of three of their gang members in custody and payment of the N50m.

But after a series of negotiations and pleas, they accepted to reduce the amount and the only surviving gang member named Nanono,” said the source.

Also Read:  Gunmen Abduct 3 In Kwara, Demand N45m Ransom
Continue Reading

Crime

Just in: 27 College of Forestry Technology students released

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The 27 students abducted from the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Kaduna State, have been released.

One of the persons who received the students confirmed the news to Daily Trust.

He said the release was facilitated by the Sheikh Ahmed Gumi dialogue committee with support from former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

The students were among the 37 abducted almost two months ago.

After payment of ransom by parents and school management, the bandits only released 10 of the victims.

Their abductors had initially demanded a N500 million ransom from the Kaduna State Government but Governor Nasir El-Rufai ruled out the option of negotiation, saying bandits deserve to be killed.

Also Read:  Bayero University expels 24 students over results falsification
Continue Reading

Crime

Breaking: Bandits Release One Abducted Kaduna Varsity Student

Published

on

By

Spread the love

One of the abducted students of Greenfield University in Kaduna State has been released by the bandits.

Although the police and government authorities are yet to confirm the development, the mother of the student, Lauritta Attahiru confirmed the release of her son to Channels Television, on Tuesday.

She however refused to give details of how her son was released and whether a ransom was paid or not.

Some of the parents told Channels Television that the student was released on Saturday after his mother, who is the wife of a Retired Army officer from Plateau State negotiated and paid ransom to the bandits privately before they released her son on Saturday.

The parents had earlier informed that the bandits have been negotiating with them individually, asking each of them to pay as high as N20 million, before they eventually demanded a bulk of N100 million and ten motorcycles on Monday, May 3.

The parents however appealed to the government and Nigerians to come to their aid so that their children will be rescued alive from the hands of their abductors.

With the release of the student, the fate of the remaining 16 students still hangs in the balance even as the bandits threatened to kill them if their parents and government fail to pay the N100 million ransom and also provide ten new motorcycles.

Also Read:  Famous Pastor In Sex Scandal, 137 Confirmed Dead As Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack

 

Threat To Kill
The release of one of the students follows an earlier threat by their abductors to kill the remaining 17 students in their custody if their parents and the state government fail to pay the sum of N100 million as ransom by Tuesday, May 4th.

This was disclosed by some of the parents of the abducted students on Monday.

The parents of the victims who did not want their names mentioned due to fear told Channels Television that the fresh demand of N100 million by the bandits is in addition to the over N50 million ransom paid to them over the weekend, with the assurance to release their children.

In addition to the N100 million, the parents said the bandits also demanded ten new motorcycles before the end of Tuesday, May 4th, failure which they will have no choice but to kill the remaining 17 students in their custody.

Continue Reading

Trending