Former President of the Senate, Iyorchia Ayu, on Thursday emerged as the consensus national chairmanship candidate of the People Democratic Party.
This is coming ahead of the main opposition party’s national congress scheduled for October 31 at the Eagles Square in Abuja.
Ayu was selected as the consensus candidate after hours of meetings by the party stakeholders from the North.
See brief profile of the consensus national chairmanship candidate of the PDP.
– Iyorchia Ayu is a former Nigerian Senator who was elected President of the Senate during the Nigerian Third Republic
– He later served in various Ministerial positions in the Cabinet of President Olusegun Obasanjo between 1999 and 2007.
– Ayu was born in Gboko in Benue State.
– He taught sociology in the University of Jos, including courses on the art and science of Marxism, and was the Chairman of the Jos University chapter of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
– Ayu was said to be political godfather of George Akume, governor of Benue State from 1999-2007.
– In November 1993, the senate impeached Ayu, who was a strong opponent of the Interim National Government established after the elected president Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola had been prevented from taking office.