The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has expressed his displeasure and requested well-wishers to refrain from placing congratulatory billboards in his honour.
This disclosure is contained in a statement issued by the Director of Press, Office of the Minister, Mr Anthony Ogunleye, on Sunday, August 27, 2023, in Abuja.
Ogunleye said the minister, who expressed appreciation for the warm wishes and support of the citizens, however, requested that such billboards and advertisements should be discountinued.
Realizing the president’s vision
- The statement reads, “The attention of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has been drawn to lamp post billboards, full-scale billboards, and other adverts congratulating him on his appointment as minister.
- “While the minister deeply appreciates the warm wishes and support of the citizens, he kindly, but strongly requests that such billboards and advertisements be discontinued forthwith.
- “The minister acknowledges the overwhelming goodwill from the residents of the FCT and beyond understands the sentiment behind these congratulatory displays and is genuinely touched by the show of support.
- “However, in the spirit of public service and commitment to his responsibilities, the minister wishes to focus his full attention on assisting President Bola Tinubu in realizing his vision and renewed hope agenda for Nigeria.’’
Calls for understanding
Ogunleye said that Wike’s foremost duty lies in contributing to the development and growth of the FCT and the well-being of residents and the nation as a whole.
He added that the minister held in high regard, the aspirations and expectations of the FCT residents, and he remained dedicated to fulfilling his role with utmost sincerity and dedication.
News continues after this ad
According to him, this can be achieved by concentrating all efforts on the task at hand and joining hands with public servants to serve the country to the best of their abilities.
- The Director said, “Wike sincerely hopes that the public will understand his perspective and continue to extend their support and cooperation.
- “He looks forward to working hand in hand with all stakeholders to build a stronger, more prosperous, and united FCT and Nigeria.’’
What you should know
- Recall that upon resumption of office in August 21, 2023, Wike had vowed to demolish houses illegally constructed within the nation’s capital, no matter whose property will be affected.
- He promised to step on toes, saying houses that had been built to distort the Abuja Masterplan, as well as built on green areas, will also be demolished, no matter who it did or did not belong to.