Connect with us

Inside Story

Big wahala dey for Niger State oo! Resident raises SOS alarm over Fulani terrorists’ invasion

Published

on

Spread the love

A resident of Niger State, whom we will simply refer to as “Malam Usman”, has raised a “Save Our Souls” alarm over Fulani terrorists’ invasion of the state’s towns and villages in the state.

The SOS was delivered by Malam Usman to ElombahNews through voice and text messages and subsequent telephone conversations.

In the text message, he wrote:

Fidelity Leaderboard

“Big wahala dey for Niger State oo!

“The day before they sacked Gulbin Boka, yesterday Shadadi, today Bangi.

“By the time they are done with villages, towns will follow.

“The next step will be kidnapping while traveling from one location to another.”

According to sources within the state, the places mentioned above – Gulbin Boka, Shadadi and Bangi – are middle class towns within the state.

According to telephone conversations held with Malam Usman, who spoke in Hausa language, the bandits arrived his village, one of the three mentioned above, with about one hundred and eighty motorcycles, each one carrying a rider with two passengers.

The marauding band struck last week, robbed the whole town and set shops ablaze, after which they

left.

The whole operation lasted hours as it started early hours of the morning and continued till around 01:00PM.

Meanwhile, while the attack lasted, there was no security agent in sight!

The distraught villagers ran helter-skelter into surrounding bushes, while the advantaged ones flew to other towns and villages the bandits are yet to attack.

Malam Usman begged the federal and state governments to authorise  residents to buy and possess gun to enable them defend themselves against the bandits.

This, he said, is because government agencies have proved futile in protecting them, while others are suspected to even connive with them to perpetrate mayhem.

Meanwhile, recently the state governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani-Bello also raised alarm that Boko Haram terrorists have captured some towns and villages in the state and have hoisted their flags in the captured areas.

Presently, several elites from Northern parts of Nigeria have severely condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration for the worsening insecurity in the region.

One such heavy critic is a popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Gumi.

Sheikh Gumi said that the bloodshed and killings in President Buhari’s government is devastating and by far more than that of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

He called for Buhari’s resignation, blaming him for bloodshed and saying he is full of mistakes.

Speaking in a recorded video, he also apologized to former President Jonathan, saying the former president was a better president than Buhari, whom he referred to as a tribalist and a segregationist.

a senior Army officer in the Nigeria Army Headquarters in Abuja, who confirmed the development.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, as he is not the Army spokesman, he said that the Department of State Security (DSS) has updated the Headquarters about the development and that efforts are in place to restore order in the affected areas.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Inside Story

Twitter Ban: Buhari raises ministerial panel to meet Jack, other company executives

Published

on

By

Spread the love

President Muhammadu Buhari has made a move to dialogue with Twitter over the suspension of the microblogging platform after weeks of stand-off.

Pantami, Lai Mohammed, Malami, others to meet Twitter on behalf of FG

Press Release

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the composition of the Federal Government’s Team to engage with Twitter over the recent suspension of the operations of the microblogging and social networking service in Nigeria.

The approval was announced in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who will chair the team.

The Federal Government’s team also comprises the Attorney General of the Federation and Honourable Minister of Justice, Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Honourable Minister of Works and Housing, Honourable Minister of State for Labour and Employment as well as other relevant government agencies.

Following the indefinite suspension of its operations in Nigeria, for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence, Twitter wrote to President Buhari seeking to engage with the Federal Government over the suspension, with a view to charting a path forward.

Segun Adeyemi

Special Assistant To The President (Media)

Office of the Minister of Information and Culture

Abuja

Continue Reading

Inside Story

Those thinking that Nigeria will break up are dreaming, they will be disappointed, says VP Osinbajo

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has declared that those waiting for Nigeria to break up will be disappointed, insisting that Nigeria will remain united as a strong nation to the frustration of those waiting to see the country broken into pieces.

Speaking yesterday in Abuja at the maiden edition of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Progressives Youth Conference, Osinbajo said the country is stronger together than in little parts.

In the area of disruption and disruptive innovation, the principle that we are stronger together than in little part is a sound principle and it is my respectful view that those who advocate the breaking up of the country are terribly wrong,” he said.

He added: “Our size is crucial for geopolitical and economic relevance. Our people will be better served by a large populous and diverse country. As with all big and diverse countries, our business is to make this union work; it is to give everybody a sense of belonging.

All of those waiting on the sidelines, hoping that this big country called Nigeria will break up into bits so that they can pick up the pieces, will be very sorely disappointed and I am very sure that those of you who are seated here today will prevent that from happening.”

The vice president acknowledged the need for all Nigerians to be guaranteed a fair chance at improving their human condition and urged the youth to be a part of conversations that will ensure this.

He asked the young generation not just to say it was time for them and for the older people to give way, stressing that such was unlikely to happen.

Osinbajo, however, stated that it was the strength of the ideas and the depth of the youths’ organisation and not age that would retire those ahead of them.

I am also frankly not very impressed with the notion that the role and power of young people are somehow postponed until elders have gone, or that there’s some kind of generational queue to which we all must subscribe.
Even if that was true at some point, today, that notion stands on very weak legs indeed,” he said.

Continue Reading

Africa

Buhari’s agricultural revolution yielding fruits – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed says the agricultural revolution embarked upon by the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration is yielding desired fruits.

The minister stated this on Monday in Birnin-Kudu near Dutse, Jigawa when he inspected Malam Alu Integrated Agro and Allied farm complex.

The complex also housed a 50-metre-high pole, hoisting the Nigerian flag – the tallest flag pole in Nigeria and the second tallest in Africa.

Mohammed said the integrated farm project with full automation soilless tomato green house, poultry, fish pond, dairy and fertilizer blending plant was a clear testimony to the success of the Buhari’s agricultural revolution.

“At least, two programmes of this administration, the Anchor Borrowers Programme and the Presidential Fertilizer Initiative, have succeeded in revolutionising agriculture in Nigeria.

“For those who may not remember, the Federal Government inaugurated the anchors borrowers programme in Nov. 2015 through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to help boost the nation’s agricultural sector.

“Today, that programme has catalysed the production of such crops as rice, maize, wheat and tomato, just to name a few, boosted local production and reduced heavy importation.

Then, there is the Presidential Fertilizer Initiative, which is aimed at stimulating local production of NPK fertilizer by reviving moribund fertilizer plants and the local blending ferilizer industry.

“This has helped in making fertilizer available to Nigerian farmers at affordable prices and saving 200 million dollars in Forex and N60 billion in budgetary provision for fertilizer subsidy, and of course creating thousands of jobs in the process,’’ he said.

The minister said many farmers across the country had taken advantage of the programmes to create the kind of massive farm as the Malam Alu agro and Allied farm.

He said the Federal Government’s ’s initiatives coupled with the ingenious programmes of the state government had made Jigawa a shining example of the success of the agricultural revolution.

“I implore other farmers and other states to take advantage of the anchor borrowers programme and the presidential fertiliser initiative to revolutionise agriculture in their areas,’’ he said.

Speaking on the tallest flag pole in the complex, the minister said the initiator of the project, Hon. Farouk Adamu used one stone to kill two birds by showcasing successes in agriculture and tourism.

“He is not only showcasing success in agriculture, he is also helping to make Jigawa a choice destination for tourists by erecting the tallest Nigerian flag pole in the country.

“This is good thinking for which I commend him,’’ he said

The minister said the fact that the state government had succeeded in making Jigawa one of the most peaceful states in the country, showed monumental achievement spanning agriculture, tourism and security.

The Jigawa Governor, Badaru Abubakar said the Buhari’s agricultural revolution programme had impacted positively on the development of the state.

He disclosed that Jigawa was the third largest rice producer in the country, the largest producer of sesame and hibiscus and the state would soon take the lead in groundnut production

“These all happened because of the massive support we received from President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The anchor borrower programme has been very remarkable and the federal fertiliser initiative has supported our farmers to get easy access to fertiliser at cheap and competitive prices.

“Because of the massive irrigation project supported by the Federal Government, we now have planting all year round and where we have not seen water in the last 14 years, water is now flowing,’’ he said.

Speaking on the flag, the governor said he would be willing to approve request by the Federal Government to take it over as national monument.

On his part, the chairman of the integrated farm said he was inspired to come home to invest because of the encouragement by the Federal Government for people to invest in agriculture.

Aliyu said the complex, spanning 70 hectares contained poultry with 120,000 layers, Dairy with 400 heads of cow, fertilizer blending plant with capacity of 40 tons per hour and a Green House that produced 20 tons of tomato weekly.

He said the tallest flag erected in the complex was to attract local and international tourists to the farm complex and the state.

The event was attended by the Emir of Dutse, HRH Nuhu Sanusi, political and other traditional leaders in the state.

In the company of the minister to the event were, the Directors-General of Nigeria Television Authority, Yakubu Ibn Mohammed, Radio Nigeria, Monsur Liman and National Orientation Agency, Garba Abari.

Others were, the D-Gs of National Commission for Museum and Monument, Prof. Abba Tijani and Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation, Folorunsho Coker.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: