Connect with us

Crime

Breaking : Court admits $25,000 cash, recorded conversations in Shehu Sani’s trial

Published

on

Spread the love

A Federal High Court in Abuja has admitted in evidence $25,000 cash allegedly returned by Senator Shehu Sani to a business man, Alhaji Sani Dauda of ASD Motors Limited, from whom he allegedly collected it under false pretence.


Senator Sani is being tried before the court on charges relating to his alleged obtaining of $25,000 from Alhaji Dauda under false pretence, claiming that the said funds would be used to bribe judges.
Alhaji Dauda had, while testifying earlier in the case, told the court that Senator Sani later returned the money on learning that he petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The complainant also said he recorded the conversations between him and Senator Sani when he returned the money and begged him for forgiveness.

Testifying on Wednesday as the 10th prosecution witness, an EFCC’s operative, who is the Investigative Police Officer (IPO) in the case, Bako Aliyu said Alhaji Daudu brought the cash to his office, claiming it was returned to him by Senator Sani.
Lead prosecution’s lawyer, Ekele Iheanacho tendered the cash and some compact disc, which the witness said contain audio recordings of the conversations between the complainant and the defendants.
The court admitted the items in evidence and adjourned till December this year for the discs to be played in open court.

Also Read:  NDLEA Chief Commences Re-engineering Of Agency For Optimal Performance
Continue Reading

Crime

Terror bandits slaughter 11 villagers to revenge informant’s death

Published

on

By

Spread the love

On the 8 of May 2021, terror bandits on a reprisal attack reportedly killed 11 villagers and injured others when they attacked Tsatskiya community in Safana local government area of Katsina State.

According to Dailypost, the attack by the terror bandits was to avenge the death of one of their informant from Hakon Kartakawa village who was killed by an angry mob last week.

Scores of villagers from Tsatskiya and other neighbouring villages in Safana LGA were reported to have escaped to Dutsima town to seek refuge following the attack.

The suspected bandits reportedly stormed the community around 12noon on Saturday, shooting sporadically into the air and eventually killing 11 persons.

Another source told DAILY POST that it has become a risky venture to expose informants of the notorious bandits for fear of reprisal attack.

“Anytime an informant is either exposed, arrested or killed the bandits always try to rescue them or avenge them by killing more people.”

However, while confirming the attack, the spokesman Katsina Police, Gambo Isa, reportedly said only three people were killed in the reprisal attack

Also Read:  How I blew N38.8b security votes in eight years, by Ex-Governor Orji
Continue Reading

Crime

Top bandits’ commanders, 48 members killed; main leader escaped: Army

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Nigerian Army says the troops of 8 Division operating in Zamfara and adjoining states have killed many bandits’ commanders and more than 48 members of their gangs in the North-West.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.

Mr Yerima said the troops had earlier launched ‘Operation Tsare Mutane’ following the directives of the Chief of Army Staf, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru.

He added that the army chief had directed the troops to stabilise the security situation in the zone to facilitate the return of socio-economic activities.

According to him, the General Officer Commanding the division, Maj.

-Gen. Usman Yusuf, launched the first phase of the operation that lasted from March 23 to April 2 in the Maradun local government area of Zamfara.

“The troops successfully cleared many bandits’ camps in Jaya, Kadaya, and Bayan Ruwa amongst several others.

“The troops successfully neutralised 48 bandits while the bandits’ leader in the area known as Jummo sustained a gunshot wound to his leg.

“The troops rescued 18 kidnap victims from the bandits’ enclave and recovered eight AK-47 rifles, one G3 rifle, one PKT, and a machine gun from the bandits,” he said.

Mr Yerima also disclosed that the troops sacked several other bandits’ camps around Gabiya, Bozaya, and Mereri and the adjoining forests in Maru local government area during the second phase of the operation.

Also Read:  NDLEA Chief Commences Re-engineering Of Agency For Optimal Performance

According to him, the second phase took place from April 19 to May 3, adding that the areas heavily occupied by bandits were successfully cleared by the troops.

He explained that top bandits’ leaders, including Yellow Mai-Bille, Sani Meli, Dan-Katsina, and Sama’ila Bakajin Bari, were killed while the main leader, Nasanda, narrowly escaped with “fatal injuries.”

The army revealed that one Isan Heshi, a close ally of a notorious bandit called Nagala, was also killed during the operation.

According to him, items recovered in the attack include 4,600 rounds of ammunition, two AK-103 rifles, eight AK-47 magazines, 1,628 rounds of AK-47 ammunition, 54 rounds of PKM, one motorcycle, and five Techno mobile phones.

“The COAS has congratulated the GOC and troops of 8 Division for the gains made so far and urged them to sustain their offensive operations until Zamfara, and neighbouring states are stabilised.

“He further assured the GOC of his continuous support in achieving the overall objective of keeping the North West and the entire country free of terrorism, banditry, and other violent crimes,” the army statement noted.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Crime

Breaking: Bandits abduct 40 Muslim worshippers observing Tahajjud in Katsina

Published

on

By

Spread the love

No fewer than 40 Muslim worshippers were abducted by armed bandits while observing Tahajjud, a kind of midnight prayer observed during the Holy Month of Ramadan, at a mosque in Jibiya town of Katsina State, OBSERVERS TIMES report.

Residents of the town confirmed that dozens of gunmen struck at the mosque around 2am on Monday and took away the worshippers.

 

The sources said the kidnappers initially picked 47 congregants, including women and children, but seven later returned.

So far we established 40 people missing after the attack,” said a resident who preferred not to be named.

Another resident who volunteered statement to DailyNigerian , Lawal Jibiya, said neighboring villagers alerted them about the impending attack, after sighting the movements of the bandits heading towards the town.

He said hundreds of youth and local vigilante group in the town were on alert and ready to confront the bandits, but the assailants changed their route and entered the town from the western entry point.

“We were expecting them from the eastern entry point through Daddara, Kukar Babangida or Magama but this time they proceeded beyond the town and camped at Jibawa.

From Jibawa they then went round to the western entry point near Yunusa Dantauri Hospital and attacked a mosque on the outskirt of the town,” the witness said.

Also Read:  How I blew N38.8b security votes in eight years, by Ex-Governor Orji

According to him, the bandits did not fire a single shot until they finished the operation.

Jibiya, a Nigeria-Niger border town, is one of the major targets of kidnapping and banditry activities.

Continue Reading

Trending