Connect with us

Crime

Breaking : Money laundering,Mr Abdulrasheed Maina Has Been Released From Kuje Prison.

Published

on

Spread the love

Former Chairman of the Pensions Reform Task Team Mr Abdulrasheed Maina has been allowed to go home after securing a bail on Monday, OBSERVERS TIMES report

Mr Maina has been at the Kuje Correctional facility for about 9-months as he battles his trial over 12 count charge bordering on Money laundering.

Maina’s Lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, in a telephone interview on Tuesday, said the ex-PRTT boss was finally released on Monday evening after completing the necessary documents for his freedom.

Adedipe, who is from the chamber of Lawyer Ahmed Raji, SAN, said though Maina should have been released July 24, it was delayed till this week due to administrative procedures

“It was already late last week Friday so they now have a new timeline shifted at 6 O’Clock.

“We went there and everything was done,” he said.

On why Maina had been kept in detention after Justice Abang further varied his bail conditions on June 29, the lawyer said: “It was also administrative. There were lapses here and there; the transmission of processes from one department of government to another.”

He, however, said the development had nothing to do with an act of vindictiveness on the part of the government officials.

Adedipe, who expressed happiness over the release, said the action would not only afford his client to have adequate medical attention but would also afford him the

“We can only thank God and this is good for us because we will now have time to prepare for his defence; we will now have goof conferencing on the matter.

“We will have a better perspective of what the case is all about. And this will also allow him to treat himself you know he has been very ill to stand the trial,” he said.

Another counsel to Maina, Afam Osigwe, also confirmed that his client had been released from the correctional centre.

“Yes, Maina came out yesterday (Monday). We have met all the bail conditions but they did not release him until yesterday,” he said.

Osigwe said he was happy Maina had been released on bail and that the development would allow him to attend to his health challenge and continue his trial.

NAN reports that the ex-Pension Reform boss, through his lawyer, Joe Gadzama, SAN, had, on June 23, informed the court that Sen. Ali Ndume, representing Borno South, had decided to stand as surety for him.

Ndume, who is the Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, had, in a statement on June 24, had also admitted standing as surety for Maina.

He revealed that it took him six months of painful consideration to agree to be a surety for the ex-Pension boss and that it was part of the cross he had to carry as Maina’s elected senator.

According to the lawmaker, it was a hard decision I had to make because I have to represent the good, the bad, and the ugly of Borno South.

Justice Abang had, on Jan. 28, varied Miana’s bail conditions, following his inability to meet the bail terms granted him on Nov. 26, 2019.

Abang also ruled that the senator thought would always come to the court at every adjourned date, the lawmaker only needed to come and sign a court register that would be opened at the registry, among other terms.

However, Maina had been unable to get a senator as surety for his release until Ndume decided to do so.

Justice Abang, who had, on June 29, considered the arguments of parties, said it was within the court’s jurisdiction to either grant bail by vacating the existing conditions or grant new conditions.

 

Crime

Kyari appears before panel, mounts defence against Hushpuppi’s allegations indictment

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The suspended former Head of the Intelligence Response Team, Abba Kyari, has appeared before the Special Investigation Panel, headed by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in-charge of the Force Criminal Investigations Department, Joseph Egbunike.


Kyari, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, presented his defence to the SIP at the Force headquarters,Abuja, on Tuesday.

PUNCH Newspper  gathered that the SIP ended the session around 8pm.

A source said, “The panel started sitting since Monday. Kyari appeared before the panel members today (Tuesday) during which he presented his defence to the indictment by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to the SIP members. The panel would take it from there.”
Kyari is under investigation for involvement in a $1.1m Internet fraud allegedly perpetrated by Instagram influencer, Abbas Ramon, popularly known as Hushpuppi, and five others.
The FBI had claimed that Kyari detained one Kelly Chibuzor at the behest of Hushpuppi for one month to enable the latter and his co-conspirators fleece their Qatari victim of over $1m.

The agency also said Hushpuppi paid $20,600 to two bank accounts allegedly provided by the former IRT commander in January 20, 2020.
Kyari has denied wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, the new Head of the Intelligence Response Team, Tunji Disu, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, resumed at the Guzape, Abuja headquarters of the unit on Tuesday.
The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, approved the posting of Disu as the unit head on Monday following the police management’s decision to fill the leadership gap within the IRT caused by Kyari’s removal on Sunday.

An operative informed our correspondent that Disu breezed into the IRT headquarters on Tuesday and later left for an undisclosed location after spending some minutes.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Video Of Soldiers Accompanying Children To School In North-Eastern Nigeria

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Following the worsening insecurity in the nation and the incessant abduction of school students by bandits, a troop of soldiers were filmed accompanying children to school in North-Eastern Nigeria.

School children have become targets of bandits, with many kids still in the custody of kidnappers after they were taken from their schools.

With the increase in abduction of students, some states ordered for secondary schools to be shut down momentarily.

To protect students, Nigeria’s military has built posts close to some schools, yet, some schools still remain unguarded.

A recent video from the region shows soldiers accompanying kids to school to ensure they get there safely.

>

Continue Reading

Crime

15-Year-Old Boy Exposes Hotel Where ESN Members Plan Attacks, 7 Ladies Arrested

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Imo State Police Command on Monday, said a 15-year-old boy, Emmanuel Nnaji, a native of Awala in Ideato South Local Government Area of Imo State, was the one who led the police tactical team to a hotel in Orlu Local Government, from where attacks were planned and executed in Omuma, Oru East Local Government and Njaba Police station in the State.

The Imo State Police Commissioner, Abutu Yaro, said this in Owerri while parading over twenty suspected members of the Eastern Security Network, ESN, who were arrested from the said hotel in Orlu. In addition, Yaro said seven females were among those arrested.

It was said that the hotel was where a victim was beheaded by the suspects and the head placed along the road. Also, the ESN members were arrested with Army camouflage uniforms, arms and ammunition.

The police said part of their discovery was that the owner of the said hotel accommodated and gave financial support to the ESN members as a base from where they launched attacks in the State.

According to the Police, “Sequel to the recent attack on Omuma Police station and Njaba Police Station respectively, where the bandits were swiftly repelled by the ever-alert tactical teams of Imo State Police Command and the unfortunate loss of a Divisional Police Officer and the arrest of one of the bandits Emmanuel Nnaji ‘M’ age 15 years, a native of Awala in Ideato South LGA of Imo State with bullet wounds and brought to the station.

“On interrogation by the command’s tactical teams, the suspect gave a vivid description of a Hotel located in Orlu as were they, the bandits stayed, planned before they executed their dastardly act on the police stations.

“The owner of the Hotel has been accommodating and assisting them financially. He then volunteered and led security forces to the location of the hotel. On arrival, the hotel and house were cordoned and searched exhibits were recovered from the arrested twenty-six suspects including seven females in the hotel they incudes.

“It is on good record that, it was in the same hotel that the head of a young man was severed and placed on the road close to the hotel premises. Presently, the investigation is ongoing and the suspects are undergoing interrogation.”

However, the Police said it “Recalled that, in the same Orlu, some months ago during the peak of IPOB/ ESN attacks and killing of Police officers including innocent citizens and burning of Police stations in the state.

“That, the command’s tactical teams and Special forces, after a diligent gathering of technical intelligence, arrested one Boniface Okeke ‘Male’ age 57 years from Obor Autonomous Community in Orlu LGA of Imo State in connection with terrorism and attacks on security agencies and private individuals where several Police stations were burnt down and police officers killed in numbers.”

“On interrogation, he confessed of being a facilitator and financer of IPOB/ ESN Operation in the state to the tune of ten million Naira ( #10,000,000 ) while he was outside the country. He assisted the police in the arrest of some of their members and decimation of their Camps in the state.

“Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Abutu Yaro, FDC, while commending the good people of Orlu and Imo State in general, pleaded for calm as security agencies are doing everything humanly possible to sustain the already improved peace in the state,” Police said.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: