President Muhammadu Buhari has praised the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on its performance.
Buhari said this during Tuesday’s security council meeting which he presided over at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The agency, whose Chairman, Brig.- Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), was appointed in January, will receive the full support of the Buhari regime to enhance its capabilities and potentials, the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd.), said.
Monguno said he had earlier informed the council on the enabling factors of crime, prominent among which is drugs, and the need to respond swiftly to mitigate its growing threat to society.
He said, “These enablers were discussed in detail and Mr President has already given direction on how to deal with them, specifically issues of drug abuse as propellants for crime, how to make the criminal justice system much more effective, as well as looking at issues of unemployment, which of course, the federal executive council had given approval, through previous memos on how to get 100 million people out of poverty, that was also discussed.
“For the intelligence agencies, they are also operating within certain parameters to suppress these problems, but the most important thing, as I said, is that we have to subjugate all other requirements to deal with the present crisis of insecurity in the country.
“All other national objectives, obligations, have to be subordinated to the primary concern of bringing back security and normalcy to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and allowing the entire citizenry to undertake their legitimate obligations, without any fear of being intimidated or coerced by non-state actors.”
When answering questions on how criminals sneak in arms and train in the bush without intelligence agencies rounding them up, Monguno said, “Yes, you are already aware that a few days ago, the President approved the setting up of the National Commission for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, which will be domiciled in the Office of the National Security Adviser, side-by-side with the counterterrorism centre.
“Now, these two organs will be like the lead agencies in dealing with these twin evils.
Of course, the issue of smuggling in small arms, light weapons, incendiaries and other dangerous items, is something that has been a nagging issue.
“But there are measures in place, especially with the setting up of this committee, to bring to a speedy end, the challenges posed by the importation of small arms and light weapons.
“And remember, these small arms and light weapons don’t just have one entry point, they have multiple entry points.
“Of course, we are considering the use of other enhancers to deal with these issues.
“Alongside the issue of importation of drugs. This was part of the memo I presented to the National Security Council.
Already, Mr President is very much inspired and motivated by the new leadership in the NDLEA.
“And he is also working on measures to further enhance the capabilities and potentials of the NDLEA, which he is very, very happy about the performance in recent months.
“So for the issue of intelligence, intelligence is doing what intelligence is supposed to do. “And intelligence comes in various forms.
“So we’re also looking at human intelligence to deal with some of these problems that are far more complicated than they appear to the naked eye.”
IPOB Fighters Enforce Ban On Open Grazing In Delta, Shoot Cows On Sight
Members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and its militant arm, the Eastern Security Network (ESN) have reportedly stormed forests in Delta State to begin the enforcement of the government’s anti-open grazing law
SaharaReporters obtained a video where some of masked gunmen, believed to be ESN fighters, were shooting at cows reportedly wandering on farmlands.
It is not clear yet in which part of Delta State the incident happened.
Sources stated that the ESN fighters were also in Delta State over the threat issued through an anonymous letter written by killer herdsmen to the government.
SaharaReporters had on June 14 reported that President Muhammadu Buhari was not contemplating sending more troops as reinforcement to Delta State to quell the suspected Fulani jihadist threats, according to sources at the Defence Headquarters.
Two officers at the DHQ Abuja had told SaharaReporters that despite the fact that the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Lucky Irabor, comes from Delta State, only Buhari, as Commander-in-chief of the armed forces, could direct the troops to move into Delta and secure the strategic locations in the face of the alarming threats.
It was learnt that the Federal Government could leave the threats to only the police, as military action by the Buhari government against the Fulani herdsmen is rare in southern Nigeria.
“The CDS is from Aliokpu Agbor, Ika South Local Government Area of Delta State, which is the epicenter of the jihadist warning. The governor might have called and discussed with him too. But the express directive to deploy troops to the state has to come from the C-in-C.
“So, the CDS has to tread carefully between safeguarding his home state and the body language of the presidency. But for now, there is no directive to the DHQ from the Villa to deploy more troops or act on Delta State, 24 hours after the threats are going viral,” one of the top sources had stated.
SaharaReporters two Sundays ago reported that palpable fear had gripped residents of Delta State following threats of invasion and bombing of the state capital, Asaba and Agbor, headquarters of Ika South Local Government Area of the state by a faceless ‘Fulani Jihadist’ group.
The group, which claimed responsibility for the fire incident that gutted the Federal Secretariat complex along Okpanam road, Asaba, warned Governor Ifeanyi Okowa to immediately withdraw his stand and support for the banning of open grazing in a recent southern governors meeting held in May and hosted by Okowa in government house, Asaba.
In an unsigned threat letter titled ‘Fulani Jihadist Warnings!!!: An Open Message of 2 Paragraphs to Delta State’ pasted in strategic places across the state capital and Agbor on Sunday, the faceless group warned Governor Ifeanyi Okowa against any failure to adhere to their demand for his withdrawal from the ban on open grazing within 72 hours, it would invade Asaba and Agbor.
EXCLUSIVE: Ex-Nigeria’s Police IG, Idris, Linked To N250million Unapproved Contracts At Police Academy
A Former Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has been asked to answer for about N250 million unapproved contracts as well as unremitted revenue at the Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State, in 2018 when he was in charge of the Nigeria Police Force.
Idris served as the Inspector General between June 2016 and January 2019, and he is being asked to account for financial misappropriations at the police academy.
This query was contained in the annual report of the Auditor-General of the Federation for 2018, a copy of which was obtained by SaharaReporters.
The report alleged non-remittance of revenue, awards of unauthorised contracts as well as other financial infractions.
The audit report says, “Issue one; Non-remittance of Internally Generated Revenue; N46,457,934.92; Audit observed in the financial year 2017 that, out ofN56,740,802.87 being Internally Generated Revenue to the Federal Government, the sum of N46,457,934.92 was not remitted. The funds were received in cash and the Academy was not on the Treasury Single Account (TSA) system at the time. This indicates weaknesses in internal controls operated by the management of Police Academy, Wudil.
“The Inspector-General of Police is required to remit the sum of N46,457,934.92 being the unremitted Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) to the Treasury Single Account (TSA) maintained in the Central Bank of Nigeria. Sanctions in line with FR3112 (i) and (ii) should apply.
“Also, unauthorised variation of contracts – N204,342,446.77; Audit observed that the contract sum of N84,145,095.24 for the construction of a 90m by 90m new parade ground was awarded and paid for in 2012 by the defunct Ministry of Police Affairs. Approval was given by the commandant without recourse to the Ministry. In 2013, the then Commandant modified the expansion of the construction to 120m by 120m square at an additional cost of N70,200,885.56 without any further tendering process, bringing the total cost to N154,345,980.80.
“Furthermore, the project was abandoned, the stage of work and the details of payment made before abandonment was not disclosed. A second variation cost for the review of the layer thickness was put at N49,950,125.65 thus bringing the final total contract sum to N204,942,446.22.
“The Inspector-General of Police is required to account for and justify the payment of the sum of N35,000,000 and to substantiate the genuineness of contract, failing which sanctions in line with FR3106 should apply.
“The Inspector-General of Police is required to provide evidence (Circular and signed agreement) to support the genuineness of the payment, or otherwise recover the sum of N15, 650,067.85.”
Relief As Troops Kill 26 Insurgents In North-East
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai killed 26 insurgents in the North-east as the Chief of Army Staff, Maj.
Separate statements issued by the Spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu, said troops of Sector 2 Joint Task Force North-east Operation Hadin Kai in conjunction with the Air Task Force inflicted heavy casualty on Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorist groups, who were camping around Wartek in the general area of Lamboa forest.
Acting on credible intelligence, the troops with close air support from the Nigerian Air Task Force component swiftly carried out a simultaneous land and air offensive, penetrating deep into Lamboa forest in Borno State.
It said “troops overran the position of the terrorists with heavy volume of fire from both land and air, killing over 20 insurgents.
It said troops also captured heavy fire weapons and arms, including three anti-aircraft guns, three AK-47 rifles and two gun trucks, aside two other gun trucks that were destroyed by the troops.
In another statement, it said troops of Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) deployed at the Forward Operational Base (FOB) of 152 Battalion, Kumshe on Sunday, killed members of the terror group, Boko Haram.
The statement said the terrorists attempted to infiltrate the camp.
“The terrorists mounted on four gun trucks and several motorcycles attempted to infiltrate and attack the camp through the northern part of the troops’ deployment, but were met with the fierce fire of the highly alert troops, resulting in the instant killing of six terrorists.
“The troops, who remained dogged and sustained heavy gun fire on the terrorists during the encounter, routed and forced the terrorists to flee in total disarray, leading to the capture of six AK-47 rifles, one hand-held grenade, assorted drugs and other first aid items”, it said.
Following the fierce confrontation, the Chief of Army Staff, Major General Faruk Yahaya, ordered troops to sustain the momentum of attacks.
He enjoined the troops to sustain the ongoing offensive under Operation Hadin Kai until the insurgents were completely surmounted.
The COAS reiterated the commitment of the Nigerian Army under his leadership to bring terrorism and insurgency to an end in the North-east.
He lauded the troops’ high level of alertness and fighting spirit, urging them to sustain the momentum and ensure that the remnants of terrorists hibernating in the area are completely cleared.
Source – This Day
Crime7 days ago
$20 million cash evacuated from serving minister’s house
Featured1 week ago
A new tribe has emerged: We are now Northern Igbos – Igbos in Northern Nigeria
Crime1 week ago
Bandit Right: Katsina police arrest 13-year-old boy for killing bandits
News1 week ago
BREAKING: Rafiu Tinubu Dies In Abuja, Gov. Sanwo-Olu Mourns
Africa7 days ago
Husband of Woman Who Gave Birth To 10 Babies Asks Public to Stop Donating Cash
Latest1 week ago
People Abusing TB Joshua Even At Death Are Devilish – Apostle Suleiman
Featured1 week ago
South-East Mocks Buhari, Produces Dot-In-Circle Shirts, Caps After Threatening Statement
Business4 days ago
Suspect: I made N400,000 a month supplying bread to bandits in Kaduna