Connect with us

Crime

I am not a kidnapper: Cross River 90-year-old man cries out to governor over property demolition

Published

on

Spread the love

Chief Etinyin Effiom Eyo Okon, a traditional leader and the clan head of Ikot Offiong Ambi clan in Akpabuyo, Cross River State, has raised a petition regarding the demolition of his property, following allegations of his involvement in kidnapping activities.

Etiyin Okon, 90, denied that neither him nor his wife are involved in kidnapping, nor has he been arrested by the state’s Special Security Task Force, codenamed “Operation Akpakwu”.

On April 25, Operation Akpakwu team stormed Okon’s village at Ekpene Tete and destroyed his 43-room apartment, housing historical documents, personal house and other valuables said to be worth over N250 million.

Speaking to reporters, the traditional ruler admitted that one of his sons, who is not living with him, allegedly committed a crime in 2017 in Calabar and was arrested and has since been held in prison.

He said that is wrong for his houses to be destroyed because of the crime allegedly committed by his son, claiming that security operatives are acting on false information.

He maintained that security men never saw any group of kidnappers or anything for them to claim that he was harbouring kidnappers, and questioned why they should demolish his 43-room bungalow.

In a petition signed by Chief Onkon’s lawyer Eno T Offiong, Esq, and addressed to Governor Ben Ayade, he noted that the nonagenarian should have been invited and confronted with the evidence against him, if any, adding that demolishing his property on April 25 was premeditated, alleging that the chief’s enemies are out to settle old scores.

Offiong, in the petition ated April 28, 2021, explained that Operation Akpakwu had earlier cleared his client, Chief Okon, but expressed surprise that security operatives on April 25, invaded the chief’s premises and demolished the structures and set the place ablaze, maintaining that Chief Okon is not a kidnapper nor is he harbouring or training them.

He admitted that his client has a civil case against some persons over community land at Ekpene Tete, and thay the case is currently on appeal in the Court of Appeal, Calabar Division.

He further admitted that, in December 2020, a petition was written against his client and addressed to the state’s Commissioner of Police, calling on the governor to set up an independent body to investigate the matter even as his client was investigated and found it to be false.

Reacting to the petition, the State Security Adviser, Southern Senatorial district, Elder Henry Okokon, agreed that the Chief Effiom Eyo Okon is not presently in detention and that Operation Akpakwu had handed him over to the police.

He added that since Chief Okon has petitioned the governor over the incident, t governor will do due diligence and get to the truth.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Crime

Buhari’s Son-in-law, Kumo, Others Allegedly Embezzled N31bn National Housing Fund, ICPC Declares Them Wanted

Published

on

By

Spread the love

President Muhammadu Buhari’s son-in-law, Gimba Yau Kumo, and two others were on Thursday declared wanted by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission over diversion and misappropriation of $65 million National Housing fund.

Kumo, a former managing director of the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria, who in 2016 married Buhari’s second daughter Fatima; Tarry Rufus and Bola Ogunsola, were declared wanted over misappropriation and diversion of $65 million National Housing fund.

A statement signed by Azuka C. Ogugua, ICPC Spokesperson, urged the public to provide information about the whereabouts of Mr Kumo and his cohort.

The statement read, “The persons whose pictures appear above, Mr. Tarry Rufus, Mr. Gimba Yau Kumo and Mr.

Bola Ogunsola, are hereby declared WANTED by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in connection with issues bordering on misappropriation of National Housing Funds and diversion of the sum of Sixty Five Million dollars ($65,000,000),” the commission said.

“Anyone who has useful information on their whereabouts should report to ICPC Headquarters Abuja, any of the ICPC State Offices or the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Driver arrested for allegedly stealing his principal’s car (photo)

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested one Ibeh George Udoka, for allegedly driving his principal’s Toyota car to Imo State for sale.

 

A statement released by CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, spokesperson of the state police command, states that on May 4th at about 1pm, one Mrs Akinola Ibironke came to Idimu Police Division and reported that her driver by name Ibeh George Udoka, whom she handed her Toyota Corola vehicle, with Registration No. ABC 801 FU, to deliver to her mechanic for repairs, on 3rd May, 2021, was no where to be found, and his phone number had been switched off.

”The Police operatives attached to Idimu Division of the Lagos State Police Command swung into action and relayed repeated radio messages to all police formations across the country for possible recovery of the car.

Due to the command’s continuous tracking of the driver, the Lagos Police operatives alerted the policemen in Edo State, on 6th May, 2021 and the driver was intercepted with the car in Benin City, on his way to Imo state.

In response to the call from Edo State Command and in compliance with the directive of the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, the police operatives from the Lagos State Police Command proceeded to Edo State Command for the recovery and apprehension of the suspect.”Adejobi said

 

Driver arrested for allegedly stealing his principal

Continue Reading

Crime

Buhari lauds NDLEA performance, promises to enhance operational capabilities

Published

on

By

Spread the love

President  Muhammadu Buhari has praised the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on its performance.

Buhari said this during Tuesday’s security council meeting which he presided over at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The agency, whose Chairman, Brig.- Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), was appointed in January, will receive the full support of the Buhari regime to enhance its capabilities and potentials, the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd.), said.

Monguno said he had earlier informed the council on the enabling factors of crime, prominent among which is drugs, and the need to respond swiftly to mitigate its growing threat to society.

He said, “These enablers were discussed in detail and Mr President has already given direction on how to deal with them, specifically issues of drug abuse as propellants for crime, how to make the criminal justice system much more effective, as well as looking at issues of unemployment, which of course, the federal executive council had given approval, through previous memos on how to get 100 million people out of poverty, that was also discussed.

“For the intelligence agencies, they are also operating within certain parameters to suppress these problems, but the most important thing, as I said, is that we have to subjugate all other requirements to deal with the present crisis of insecurity in the country.

“All other national objectives, obligations, have to be subordinated to the primary concern of bringing back security and normalcy to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and allowing the entire citizenry to undertake their legitimate obligations, without any fear of being intimidated or coerced by non-state actors.”

When answering questions on how criminals sneak in arms and train in the bush without intelligence agencies rounding them up, Monguno said, “Yes, you are already aware that a few days ago, the President approved the setting up of the National Commission for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, which will be domiciled in the Office of the National Security Adviser, side-by-side with the counterterrorism centre.

“Now, these two organs will be like the lead agencies in dealing with these twin evils.

Of course, the issue of smuggling in small arms, light weapons, incendiaries and other dangerous items, is something that has been a nagging issue.

“But there are measures in place, especially with the setting up of this committee, to bring to a speedy end, the challenges posed by the importation of small arms and light weapons.

“And remember, these small arms and light weapons don’t just have one entry point, they have multiple entry points.

“Of course, we are considering the use of other enhancers to deal with these issues.

“Alongside the issue of importation of drugs. This was part of the memo I presented to the National Security Council.

Already, Mr President is very much inspired and motivated by the new leadership in the NDLEA.

“And he is also working on measures to further enhance the capabilities and potentials of the NDLEA, which he is very, very happy about the performance in recent months.

“So for the issue of intelligence, intelligence is doing what intelligence is supposed to do. “And intelligence comes in various forms.

“So we’re also looking at human intelligence to deal with some of these problems that are far more complicated than they appear to the naked eye.”

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: