Connect with us

Featured

Information Ministry Recalls CCT’s Media Officer Who Wrote ‘Blunder’ Statement Defending Umar Danladi

Published

on

Spread the love

An official of the Ministry of Information and Culture posted to the Code of Conduct Tribunal has been recalled.

Head, Press and Public Relations of the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), Ibraheem Al-Hassan was recalled over the blundering statement he recently issued in the aftermath of the assault incident involving the tribunal’s chairman, Danladi Umar.

According to Premium Times, Mr Al-Hassan, who was deployed to the CCT as his place of primary assignment in 2013, had his last day at the tribunal at Jabi, Abuja, on Friday, following the ministry’s directive recalling him.

He handed over to the Chief Registrar of the CCT, Abdumalik Shaibu, while departing on Friday.

”He was recalled as the head of media unit of the CCT on Friday and asked to hand over to the Chief Registrar of the tribunal.

We understand that he will still remain at the Ministry of Information to await fresh posting, that is if the ministry is inclined towards sending him out again,” a source earlier told PREMIUM TIMES.

The CCT’s Chief Registrar, Mr Shaibu, on Tuesday, confirmed to our reporter that Mr Al-Hassan had been recalled by the Ministry of Information.

“He was posted to us to the CCT by the Ministry of Information and he has been with us (CCT) for a very long time.

Also Read:  We No Longer Have Road to Kogi State Assembly Complex- Kogi Assembly Member cry out .

“He is not our member of staff, he was posted here, but they recalled him on Friday and, they have posted somebody else here,” Mr Shaibu said.

Asked if the new person has resumed duties, the official said, “the new person has not resumed because of some personal reasons. The person would likely resume this week.”

Controversial statement

Mr Al-Hassan had drawn public outrage not only for the numerous errors contained in his March 30 statement, but also for the ethnic slur that was inferred from his claim in the statement that Mr Umar, who was captured in a video clip assaulting a security guard at an Abuja plaza, was the one that was mobbed by ‘Biafran boys’.

Mr Al-Hassan had issued the controversial statement in defence of Mr Umar who was seen in the viral video footage kicking and slapping Clement Sagwak, a security guard at Banex Plaza, Wuse 2, Abuja, on March 29.

In an attempt to justify Mr Umar’s act, the statement issued on March 30, accused Mr Sargwak of being rude during his encounter with the public official on the premises of the plaza.

The statement which was filled with grammatical blunders also alleged that the CCT chairman was mobbed by ‘Biafran boys’, a characterisation that was widely condemned as a slur on an ethnic group.

Also Read:  Exclusive: New airlines to emerge in Nigeria, as NCAA vets 23 more applications

Mr Al-Hassan’s statement, which has since gone viral, was filled with grammatical blunders such as, “video cliff” instead of “video clip”; “packing lot” instead of “parking lot”; “rode” instead of “rude”; “fixe” instead of “fix.” He also wrote “had went’ instead of ‘‘had gone”.

Nigerians took to the social media to express their dismay at what they described as “offensive” about the content of the release.

Mr Al-Hassan later said he issued the statement under pressure.

Tendering a public apology in a later statement, he said he was under pressure while issuing the statement, adding that the statement was an “unedited draft” that slipped into the public space through a “colleague”.

However, Mr Umar, in whose defence, Mr Al-Hassan had issued the statement, appeared to have doubled down on his earlier claim by insisting that he was mobbed at the scene of assault by people chanting “secessionist, sectional slogans”.

Assault

This newspaper had reported how Mr Umar was caught on camera assaulting the security guard, Mr Sargwak an employee of Jul Reliable Guards Services Limited.

In the five minutes video footage that went viral, the tribunal chairman was seen slapping and kicking the 22-year-old, on March 29.

According to witnesses who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES, the altercation was over the space where the CCT chairman parked his car on the premises of the mall.

Also Read:  PDP Congratulates Ahmadu Ali at 85

Despite video evidence, the CCT chairman denied the assault allegation.

Mr Umar’s denial was faulted by witnesses who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES.

The CCT chairman, who accused Mr Sargwak of being rude, also reportedly ordered the arrest of a phone repairer, Peter Onyiuke, with an outlet at the plaza.

Mr Onyiuke was detained without charge for one week allegedly on Mr Umar’s instruction.

He was arrested on March 29 and was only released from the custody of a police station in Wuse Zone 2, Abuja, April 6.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Featured

Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Mbaka was asked to proceed on suspension with effect from May 3 after being summoned by Callistus Valentine Onaga, the diocesan bishop.

The Catholic Diocese of Enugu has suspended Reverend Father Ejike Mbaka from church activities for one month as the controversial priest’s political escapades continue to overshadow his theological obligations on a scale that nurtures unending concerns amongst his senior clerics.

Mbaka was asked to proceed on suspension with effect from May 3 after being summoned by Callistus Valentine Onaga, the diocesan bishop.

Onaga called Mbaka in following his repeated clashes with President Muhammadu Buhari and warned that his conduct was smearing the church’s image, the largest of any Christian organisation worldwide, church officials familiar with the matter told The Gazette.

SaharaReporters had reported last Wednesday Mbaka’s criticism of the Muhammadu Buhari regime over its inaction on the widespread killings across the nation.

Speaking at the Adoration Ministry in Enugu, Mbaka said it is wrong for Buhari to maintain grave silence despite the incessant killings in the country.

He accused the government of being behind several killings across the country and tagging separatists groups as terrorists rather than focus on getting them good jobs.

The cleric also frowned on the activities of herders that destroy the farmland of people without any repercussion.

Also Read:  BREAKING! 2023: INEC To Launch Electronic Voting

He said Buhari had failed Nigeria woefully and that he should resign now. Mbaka also called for the President’s impeachment.

Following his suspension, Mbaka returned to his ministry that lies north of the outskirts of Enugu city centre, where he subsequently incited his members against the bishop, sources said.

Mbaka’s followers claimed without evidence that he was kidnapped by Mr Onaga and handed over to the State Security Service. They subsequently marched on the premises of the bishop on Wednesday morning, looting and destroying assets therein.

The mob also descended on the Holy Ghost Cathedral, again looting and destroying items in the building. The members also went to town to allege that the SSS had arrested Mr Mbaka — generating widespread media reports despite lacking requisite corroboration.

A spokesman for the SSS denied taking Mr Mbaka into custody or coming in any contacts with him when reached by The Gazette, contrary to his followers’ rumours.

A spokesman for the diocese did not immediately return a request seeking comments. Mbaka’s line was switched off when dialled by The Gazette on Wednesday night.

Before falling out with Buhari recently, Mr Mbaka was an ardent supporter of the President. He endorsed his campaign in 2015 and claimed his blessings played a role in its success.

Also Read:  Buhari seeks senate immediate confirm Ahmad Halilu as NASRDA DG

But as Buhari’s regime failed to tackle acute poverty and insecurity, Mr Mbaka said he was compelled to speak up and distance himself from his regime, describing it as evil and satanic and calling on the President himself to vacate office.

Church sources said Mbaka’s latest suspension was being viewed as significant for its undertone, but not the first time the fiery priest would face administrative action.

“We know people will link this to his confrontation with Buhari, but he was once demoted from a parish priest to a deputy under a parish priest,” a church official told TheGazette. “He had also been transferred from bigger parishes to smaller ones for his frequent infractions in the past.”

Still, church officials admitted Mbaka’s Adoration Ministry has been a cash cow for the Enugu Diocese, even though it was built by Mr Mbaka and not directly under its control.

“The real problem is the Diocese has been financially dependent on Mbaka, collecting his millions,” a source said, adding that some of the senior clerics themselves have also been in bed with politicians whom Mr Mbaka has long railed against.

Continue Reading

Featured

I will leave no stone unturned to better the life of my people, RT. Hon. Momoh Jimoh Lawal

Published

on

By

Spread the love

 

A Peoples Democratic Party, PDP chieftain and former speaker of kogi state house of assembly, Rt.

Hon. MJ Lawal who represented the good people of Okene II state constituency in the state assembly has once again intervened in the poor state of educational infrastructure in kogi central.

Hon. Momoh Jimoh Lawal is a well grounded grassroots mobilizer of the PDP in kogi state and he is known for his philanthropy across the senatorial district. Recently, some students of Government Day Secondary School, Iruvucheba had approached him to solicit for his support to help renovate a classroom to enable the WAEC candidates sit for their exams giving the dilapidated and poor conditions of their classrooms.

The kogi central political icon after receiving the call took it up on himself to erect four (4) blocks of classrooms and two (2) office buildings to enable the students sit for their examinations.

In a quiet ceremony, Rt. Hon. MJ Lawal handed over the newly completed buildings to the principal of the school, Mall. Ohiare J.Z

While speaking at the handing over ceremony, Hon. MJ Lawal noted that education is the bedrock of any society seeking the path of progress and development. He equally stated that he’d never leave any stone unturned to see that he better the life of his people especially in the areas of education and empowerment.

Also Read:  Exclusive: New airlines to emerge in Nigeria, as NCAA vets 23 more applications

Recall that some months ago, Hon. MJ Lawal had built, commissioned and handed over some block of classrooms and learning materials to Lennon memorial college, Ageva.

For the political icon, RT. Hon. MJ Lawal, giving back to the society is a mandate he can never go against.

Continue Reading

Featured

Kano Hisbah sacks official found in hotel room with married woman

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The Kano State Hisbah Board, in its effort to ensure transparency as well as guide against immortality, has sacked a top official allegedly found with a married woman in a hotel room in Sabon Gari area of the state.

The Hisbah Public Relations Officer, Lawal Fagge, confirmed the sacking of the official

It will be recalled early in the year, an official of the command (name withheld) was allegedly found in a questionable manner with the married woman.

The report gathered that the decision taken on Tuesday followed a report by a committee set up by the board to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident.

It was, however, discovered that before the incident, the official was said to be at the forefront of arresting prostitutes and other wayward girls.

Also Read:  PDP Congratulates Ahmadu Ali at 85
Continue Reading

Trending