Connect with us

Inside Story

Nigerian Army Recalls 149 Soldiers Dismissed For Running Away From Terrorists Due to Lack Of Equipment

Published

on

Spread the love
A total of 149 Nigerian soldiers who took to their heels after being attacked by Boko Haram terrorists in Marte have been recalled.
The soldiers are of the 153 Infantry Battalion, Marte. They fled over alleged inadequate provision of arms and ammunition.
SaharaReporters gathered that the soldiers absconded from duty after insurgents attacked their camps, leaving scores of their colleagues dead.
The insurgents had on Monday, February 15 overrun Marte.
While most of the villagers ran away for safety, some were held by the insurgents.
SaharaReporters gathered that the gunmen came with heavy machine guns and trucks, and took possession of the military formation in the community, including high profile fighting equipment and vehicles.
At least 10 soldiers were killed during the incident.
The gunmen also set ablaze two battle tanks and a pickup van belonging to the Nigerian Army.
 
“We lost about 10 soldiers in the fight, the troops were outgunned by the gunmen. It was an intense battle, the terrorists also suffered casualties but they were able to overwhelm the soldiers,” a military source had said.
SaharaReporters gathered that soldiers were moved to Maiduguri few days after the attack while those from Jaji Military Cantonment, Kaduna State, were used to replace them.
The army authorities subsequently dismissed them and retrieved their uniforms and identity cards.
“We were overwhelmed and could not withstand the superior firepower of the terrorists. Sufficient weapons were not provided for us to fight the terrorists and we ran out of weapons. Some of the weapons provided for us were obsolete, so it was not really our fault.
 
“We have been told to resume, I’m so happy,” one of the dismissed soldiers told SaharaReporters.
Also Read:  Social Media: Buhari vows to fight cyber-crimes, hate speech to on social media to a standstill
Continue Reading

Inside Story

Division in Igala land as ruling house opposes Mathew Opaluwa’s nomination

Published

on

By

Spread the love

The announcement last week from the Igala Traditional Council that Mr Mathew Opaluwa has been chosen as the new Attah Igala to succeed the late Michael Idakwo Ameh-Oboni has sparked another bitter row amongst the ruling Oguche House.

Indeed, the preferred candidate for the exalted position, Mr Samuel Opaluwa, is challenging the choice of The Traditional Council as an act of political imposition and abuse of the law governing the selection process.

He is going ahead with his rejection of Mr Mathew Opaluwa as the new Attah Igala through an official petition he has sent to the Commissioner for Local Govt.and Chieftaincy Affairs as well as Kogi State Council of Chiefs not to accept the nomination of Mr. Mathew Opaluwa for the exalted position.

In the petition forwarded by his Lawyer, A.

S Akpala & Co., he argued that “forwarding the name of Mr Mathew Opaluwa as an Attah-Designate to the State Council of Chiefs as provided for in section 10 of Legal Notice No.

 

2 of 2015, if that were to be interpreted literally, would make the position of the Igala Area Traditional Council not only redundant but most irrelevant in such weighty case as in the recommendation of an Attah-designate”.

Also Read:  Social Media: Buhari vows to fight cyber-crimes, hate speech to on social media to a standstill

It is further pointed out that “we are disgusted to note that the Review Panel shoved aside all the obvious facts in our Client’s presentation and went outside these terms to recommend a candidate who was never recommended/nominated by the relevant King makers from the Aju Ame-Achor Ruling House, and who is far junior in age to our client as a candidate for appointment to the exalted throne of Attah Igala.”

The petitioner is therefore appealing that the most elderly and qualified male contestant from the Aju Ame-Achor Ruling House, Mr. Samuel Opaluwa, who was duly screened and nominated by the kingmakers of that Ruling House be recommended to His Excellency, The Executive Governor – in Council, for appointment to the vacant throne of Attah Igala.

From  an impeccable source that Mr Samuel Opaluwa’s group of elders in the ruling Oguche House have also reacted angrily to the latest development, believing strongly that I. T. C has violated Order 2 of the procedure and regulations for the selection and Ascension to the stool of Attah Igala.

According to one of the elders of the ruling family House, Jacob Etu, a retired Deputy Commissioner of Police, “it is highly disappointing that some members of I.T.C. could be so politically and financially compromised in order to thwart the cause of Justice and peaceful life of members of the ruling family.

Also Read:  Mob Seizes Officer After SARS Operatives Shot Dead Shop Owner In Lagos

With the latest development over the choice of who will succeed the late Micheal Idakwo Ameh-Oboni, the Igala people of Kogi State would still have to wait a little longer without a substantive Attah Igala.

Continue Reading

Inside Story

Big wahala dey for Niger State oo! Resident raises SOS alarm over Fulani terrorists’ invasion

Published

on

By

Spread the love

A resident of Niger State, whom we will simply refer to as “Malam Usman”, has raised a “Save Our Souls” alarm over Fulani terrorists’ invasion of the state’s towns and villages in the state.

The SOS was delivered by Malam Usman to ElombahNews through voice and text messages and subsequent telephone conversations.

In the text message, he wrote:

Fidelity Leaderboard

“Big wahala dey for Niger State oo!

“The day before they sacked Gulbin Boka, yesterday Shadadi, today Bangi.

“By the time they are done with villages, towns will follow.

“The next step will be kidnapping while traveling from one location to another.”

According to sources within the state, the places mentioned above – Gulbin Boka, Shadadi and Bangi – are middle class towns within the state.

According to telephone conversations held with Malam Usman, who spoke in Hausa language, the bandits arrived his village, one of the three mentioned above, with about one hundred and eighty motorcycles, each one carrying a rider with two passengers.

The marauding band struck last week, robbed the whole town and set shops ablaze, after which they

left.

The whole operation lasted hours as it started early hours of the morning and continued till around 01:00PM.

Meanwhile, while the attack lasted, there was no security agent in sight!

Also Read:  Transport owners to hike fares by 500%

The distraught villagers ran helter-skelter into surrounding bushes, while the advantaged ones flew to other towns and villages the bandits are yet to attack.

Malam Usman begged the federal and state governments to authorise  residents to buy and possess gun to enable them defend themselves against the bandits.

This, he said, is because government agencies have proved futile in protecting them, while others are suspected to even connive with them to perpetrate mayhem.

Meanwhile, recently the state governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani-Bello also raised alarm that Boko Haram terrorists have captured some towns and villages in the state and have hoisted their flags in the captured areas.

Presently, several elites from Northern parts of Nigeria have severely condemned President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration for the worsening insecurity in the region.

One such heavy critic is a popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Gumi.

Sheikh Gumi said that the bloodshed and killings in President Buhari’s government is devastating and by far more than that of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

He called for Buhari’s resignation, blaming him for bloodshed and saying he is full of mistakes.

Speaking in a recorded video, he also apologized to former President Jonathan, saying the former president was a better president than Buhari, whom he referred to as a tribalist and a segregationist.

Also Read:  Mr. Ejinaka Chidi ( D' Jones ) emerged the Chairman of IMUZIKWA ANYA CHARITY/BUSINESS ORGANIZATION WORLDWIDE.

a senior Army officer in the Nigeria Army Headquarters in Abuja, who confirmed the development.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, as he is not the Army spokesman, he said that the Department of State Security (DSS) has updated the Headquarters about the development and that efforts are in place to restore order in the affected areas.

 

Continue Reading

Inside Story

Donald Trump Launches New Communication Platform After Being Banned On Twitter

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Former US President, Mr. Donald Trump has launched a new “communications” website, which says it will publish content “straight from the desk” of the former US president.

Mr Trump was banned by Twitter and suspended by Facebook and YouTube after the Capitol riots in January.

The former president has since been releasing statements by press release – which the new website will now host.

Users will be able to like posts – and also share them on Twitter and Facebook accounts.

“It is a blog,” Kara Swisher, technology columnist for the New York Times told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “I was like ‘2002 is calling and it wants its blog back…’

“I don’t know what the overall plan is because he does have some very sharp digital advisers.

It is just the beginning of his attempts to try to re-establish a louder ability to participate in digital media.”

 

The move comes a day before a decision is due from Facebook’s Oversight Board on whether to permanently ban Mr Trump.

Mr Trump’s senior adviser, Jason Miller, had previously said a new social media platform was to be launched. “This new platform is going to be big,” he said in March.

But Mr Miller tweeted on Tuesday that the new website was not the social media platform he had previously hyped.

Also Read:  Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku swears in two newly appointed commissioners, assign Portfolios

“We’ll have additional information coming on that front in the very near future,” he said.

The website is reportedly built by Campaign Nucleus, a digital services company created by Mr Trump’s former campaign manager Brad Parscale.

Several posts on the site repeat debunked claims that last year’s presidential election was rigged.

Facebook’s Oversight Board will announce its decision on whether Mr Trump is to be permanently banned from the platform on 09:00 EST (14:00 BST).

If he is allowed back on to the site, Facebook will have seven days to reactivate his account.

YouTube has said they will reactivate Mr Trump’s account when the threat of “real-world violence” reduces.

Twitter, where Mr Trump had 88 million followers, has banned him permanently.

A Twitter spokesperson told the BBC: “Generally, sharing content from the website referenced is permitted as long as the material does not otherwise violate the Twitter Rules”.

Continue Reading

Trending