Connect with us

Featured

Powerful Nigerians Brought In Bandits, Arms For Civil War Should Jonathan Remain In Power – Mailafia

Published

on

Spread the love

Former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Obadiah Mailafia, has said bandits were brought into Nigeria in 2015 by powerful people who wanted former President Goodluck Jonathan out of power.

Mailafia said the powerful individuals intended to deploy the bandits for war if Jonathan did not concede the 2015 presidential election.

The former CBN deputy governor also said there should be no amnesty for the bandits because they are only out to destroy, according to a Punch report.

“During the 2015 elections, they brought in thousands of foreigners into this country, armed them because it was a case of if Goodluck Jonathan doesn’t surrender, there will be war. They were ready for civil war; they were not ready for peace,” Mailafia said.

“Of course, Jonathan handed over to them and then they turned their backs on the hoodlums and the hoodlums said ‘look, you brought us here and we are still here’.

“There are certain world powers that want to destroy our country. That is what I believe. There was a container load of weapons that were brought in from Turkey. Another time some were brought in from Iran. But nobody probed further and everything was swept under the carpet and that was the end of it.”

Also Read:  Nigeria spends N21bn searching for oil in the North and others in January

Mailafia also called out those comparing Niger Delta militants to terrorists, who wield sophisticated weapons.

“I do not believe that the Niger Delta militancy can be compared to the terrorists. These people (terrorists) are not even bandits. A bandit is a common thief or a brigand. The ‘agbero’ are bandits. These people carrying sophisticated weapons and rockets are not bandits. They are terrorists.

“They have killed, they have maimed, they have raped and they have wreaked havoc.”

Mailafia did not provide any proof and he is known for making unsubstantiated claims.

In August 2020, Mailafia was invited by the Department of State Services (DSS) over his claim that a governor from the North is the leader of Boko Haram.

After his release from DSS custody Mailafia said he was ready to lay down his life for the country like Nelson Mandela, former president of South Africa, did for his country.

But in an interview with BBC Hausa, Mailafia later said he got the information from “some traders” in the market and did not know that his statement would go viral.

He admitted that he had no evidence to back up the claim.

Continue Reading

Featured

Information Ministry Recalls CCT’s Media Officer Who Wrote ‘Blunder’ Statement Defending Umar Danladi

Published

on

By

Spread the love

An official of the Ministry of Information and Culture posted to the Code of Conduct Tribunal has been recalled.

Head, Press and Public Relations of the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), Ibraheem Al-Hassan was recalled over the blundering statement he recently issued in the aftermath of the assault incident involving the tribunal’s chairman, Danladi Umar.

According to Premium Times, Mr Al-Hassan, who was deployed to the CCT as his place of primary assignment in 2013, had his last day at the tribunal at Jabi, Abuja, on Friday, following the ministry’s directive recalling him.

He handed over to the Chief Registrar of the CCT, Abdumalik Shaibu, while departing on Friday.

”He was recalled as the head of media unit of the CCT on Friday and asked to hand over to the Chief Registrar of the tribunal.

We understand that he will still remain at the Ministry of Information to await fresh posting, that is if the ministry is inclined towards sending him out again,” a source earlier told PREMIUM TIMES.

The CCT’s Chief Registrar, Mr Shaibu, on Tuesday, confirmed to our reporter that Mr Al-Hassan had been recalled by the Ministry of Information.

“He was posted to us to the CCT by the Ministry of Information and he has been with us (CCT) for a very long time.

Also Read:  Obih wants Edo govt to recover state’s funds from Oshiomhole

“He is not our member of staff, he was posted here, but they recalled him on Friday and, they have posted somebody else here,” Mr Shaibu said.

Asked if the new person has resumed duties, the official said, “the new person has not resumed because of some personal reasons. The person would likely resume this week.”

Controversial statement

Mr Al-Hassan had drawn public outrage not only for the numerous errors contained in his March 30 statement, but also for the ethnic slur that was inferred from his claim in the statement that Mr Umar, who was captured in a video clip assaulting a security guard at an Abuja plaza, was the one that was mobbed by ‘Biafran boys’.

Mr Al-Hassan had issued the controversial statement in defence of Mr Umar who was seen in the viral video footage kicking and slapping Clement Sagwak, a security guard at Banex Plaza, Wuse 2, Abuja, on March 29.

In an attempt to justify Mr Umar’s act, the statement issued on March 30, accused Mr Sargwak of being rude during his encounter with the public official on the premises of the plaza.

The statement which was filled with grammatical blunders also alleged that the CCT chairman was mobbed by ‘Biafran boys’, a characterisation that was widely condemned as a slur on an ethnic group.

Also Read:  Nigeria spends N21bn searching for oil in the North and others in January

Mr Al-Hassan’s statement, which has since gone viral, was filled with grammatical blunders such as, “video cliff” instead of “video clip”; “packing lot” instead of “parking lot”; “rode” instead of “rude”; “fixe” instead of “fix.” He also wrote “had went’ instead of ‘‘had gone”.

Nigerians took to the social media to express their dismay at what they described as “offensive” about the content of the release.

Mr Al-Hassan later said he issued the statement under pressure.

Tendering a public apology in a later statement, he said he was under pressure while issuing the statement, adding that the statement was an “unedited draft” that slipped into the public space through a “colleague”.

However, Mr Umar, in whose defence, Mr Al-Hassan had issued the statement, appeared to have doubled down on his earlier claim by insisting that he was mobbed at the scene of assault by people chanting “secessionist, sectional slogans”.

Assault

This newspaper had reported how Mr Umar was caught on camera assaulting the security guard, Mr Sargwak an employee of Jul Reliable Guards Services Limited.

In the five minutes video footage that went viral, the tribunal chairman was seen slapping and kicking the 22-year-old, on March 29.

According to witnesses who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES, the altercation was over the space where the CCT chairman parked his car on the premises of the mall.

Also Read:  BPE boss calls for increased PPP in maritime sector

Despite video evidence, the CCT chairman denied the assault allegation.

Mr Umar’s denial was faulted by witnesses who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES.

The CCT chairman, who accused Mr Sargwak of being rude, also reportedly ordered the arrest of a phone repairer, Peter Onyiuke, with an outlet at the plaza.

Mr Onyiuke was detained without charge for one week allegedly on Mr Umar’s instruction.

He was arrested on March 29 and was only released from the custody of a police station in Wuse Zone 2, Abuja, April 6.

Continue Reading

Featured

You Can’t be Our Leader, A’Ibom APC stakeholder reject Akpabio as leader

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Stakeholders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in  have again rejected Niger Delta Affairs Minister, Senator Godswill Akpabio as party leader in the state.

A group within the party led by a former military administrator of Rivers and Ogun states, Group Captain Sam Ewang (retd), had last month endorsed Akpabio as APC leader in the state.

But in an enlarged second stakeholders meeting of the party on Sunday at SheerGrace Arena, the party kicked against the unilateral decision of the Ewang group to appoint Akpabio as the party’s leader.

The meeting was attended by National Caretaker Secretary of the APC, Senator John Akpanuodehe and Managing Director of the Oli and Gas Free Trade Zone Authority and Obong Umana Okon Umana.

Others were Senior Special Assistant to the President on Niger Delta Affairs Senator Ita Enang; Sole administrator of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Mr.

Efiong Akwa and Group Captain Sam Ewang(retd) among others.

Akpabio was absent at the meeting but sent his apologies.

In a communiqué at end of the meeting, the stakeholder said: ” That the stakeholders endorse the decision of the State Executive Committee (SEC) to declare as a nullity the unilateral proclamation and announcement of Sen. Godswill Akpabio as the State Party Leader of APC in gross violation of the Party’s Constitution in the unauthorised and illegal Stakeholders meeting of Sunday, March 28, 2021.

Also Read:  Obih wants Edo govt to recover state’s funds from Oshiomhole

That the Party hereby reminds every member and the general public that the State Chairman (or Caretaker Chairman as applicable here) is the Chairman of the State Caucus as provided for in Article 12.9 Sub (i) of the party Constitution (October 2014 As Amended) and remains the Party Leader in the State until further notice”.

They dismissed the insinuation there were factions in the party and urged all leaders from the holding appointive positions to work for the interest and unity of the APC.

Continue Reading

Featured

NPC advocates adoption of green productivity

Published

on

By

Spread the love

There is an urgent need for Nigeria to adopt a green productivity approach to boost the production sector of the economy, the Director-General of the National Productivity Centre, Dr.

Kashim Akor, has said.

Presenting a paper titled ‘Post-COVID-19 Nigerian Economy: The Productivity Imperatives’ at the inauguration of the National Labour Advisory Council (NLAC) in Owerri, the Imo State capital, Akor explained that coronavirus had inflicted monumental economic and social challenges on the world, and requires innovativeness and craftiness of economic managers to avert economic implosion of countries.

The NPC helmsman said a green productivity approach is an idea that is suitable for economic growth and sustainable development for Nigeria given the desire to grow her non-oil sector as a matter of necessity.


Green Productivity was launched in 1994 in line with the 1992 Earth Summit recommendations that both economic development and environmental protection would be key strategies for sustainable development.

Green Productivity is a new paradigm in sustainable manufacturing where resource conservation and waste minimization constitute the strategy in simultaneously enhancing environmental performance and productivity.

 

His explanation: “The knowledge and practice of green productivity are therefore very crucial to the diversification drive of the Nigerian government. The basic characteristics of green productivity include environmental compliance by the production system, application of environment-friendly production management system, use of total quality management and continuous improvement techniques as well.”

Also Read:  President Jonathan, Gov Wike Attend Lulu-Briggs Funeral.

Akor stressed that the need for productivity movement and economic diversification should be a top government agenda, saying, “productivity imperatives provide a promising future for Nigeria with a knowledge-based economy. As bad as the COVID-19 has been, it is a wake-up call that has challenged us as a people to look closely at agriculture and the manufacturing industry to reduce the total dependence on other countries for all our needs, technology inclusive. The new world order is fast emerging. The way we see the world, work, and interact has changed and Nigeria must not be left behind in the new scheme of things. The current reality and challenges are consequently redefining the way things are done across the globe thereby ushering in the new world order.”

Though the concept of productivity has evolved through time and remains the same irrespective of the type of production, economic or political systems, Akor maintained that the basic concept remains the relationship between output and inputs.

He added: “As a social concept, productivity is seen as an attitude of mind that seeks to continuously improve what already exists. It is based on the conviction that one can do things better today than yesterday and better tomorrow than today. It is a mindset that seeks to continually improve what already exists. It is the will to improve on the present situation, no matter how good it may seem. It aims for a better quality of life for everyone, hence, it is everybody’s business.

Also Read:  BPE boss calls for increased PPP in maritime sector

As a management concept, productivity improvement is a managed process. It does not happen by accident. A productive organization is efficient in converting the inputs to outputs (products/services) and effective in fulfilling its mission of satisfying expectations of customers and other stakeholders.”

He further stated that as an integrated concept, productivity is the efficiency and effectiveness with which input resources are combined and utilized in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner to produce quality goods and services for the satisfaction of human needs. This is a definition that holistically looks at productivity with keen attention to green productivity and quality in appreciating total productivity.

Credit: Guardian

Continue Reading

Trending