More facts emerged on the invasion of some 42 youths from the Northern parts of the country to Okitipupa in the Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State, just as the state government on Sunday, ordered their evacuation back to their various state.
The invasion of the men who said they were in the state for security training created tension in the community following the alarm raised by the residents, calling the attention of the Amotekun corps to the development.
Speaking on the arrest of the invaders, the state Commander of Amotekun in the state, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, said the 42 men were arrested following their inability to explain their mission in the state.
According to him, the suspected invaders who hailed from Kano and Jigawa states claimed that they were invited to the state by an agent who will engage them as a security guard to monitor and guide pipelines in the state.
Adeleye explained that “In the last three days, there have been issues relating to the invasion of the state by alleged Fulani men. Our intel showed us the influx of some people especially to the Okitipupa Local Government Area of the state. So, we monitored and we found out that they converged in front of the army barracks in Okitipupa.
“They were there for a couple of hours and at that point, we tried to find out what their mission is, but because they couldn’t give satisfactory explanations we moved them to our local office first in Okitipupa to try to debrief them and from the debriefing at Okitipupa, we had to move them to the state headquarters for proper debriefing.
When they arrived, we profile them and we found out that they are primarily from two major states, Kano and Jigawa States. The mission that they claimed they came for is not too clear and upon profiling, we found out that the majority of them don’t even know how they got to where they got to.
“All they were told is they were going for training. Training for who, by who or whatsoever, they do not know.
Speaking on the sponsors of the youths, Adeleye said “from the detailed investigation, we able to narrow it down to their sponsors.
“The sponsors happened to also claimed that they belong to an NGO, that they contracted out the training to a consultant who was supposed to train their men. They said they were going to train them as security guards.
“But as part of our discreet investigation, we found out that the so call consultant had been arrested in Delta State and I confirmed from the Delta State Police Command as of today that he’s still in their custody. So, we intend to release them, we will release all these ones and ensure that they are taken back to their states.”
He explained that they decided to release them because “right now we look at them as a security risk to the state, and at this point, we invited the sponsors, the head of the NGO and Chairman of the board have also offered an explanation.
“But we feel that we should let the people of Ondo State know that there is no crisis in Okitipupa Local Government. The way it was portrayed as if some hoodlums or militants had taken over is not true.
“We want to reassure the good people of Ondo State that we are firmly on the ground in conjunction with other security agencies that there is no problem. People should go about their businesses normally.
“We are not leaving anything untouched and we have ensured that our intelligence unit had covered the entire state and we’ll alert the public on any wrong move. We intend to provide escort to lead them out of Ondo State back to wherever they came from.”
However, a security source confirmed that the youths who were intercepted and apprehended in front of the Okitipupa Army Barracks at about 10 pm on Thursday night were invited by an agent who mobilised them for training.
The security source confided in Tribune Online that the men were billed to have their training in the barracks but luck ran out of them before they could settle down in the barracks.
According to him, the State Security Service and the State Police Command were contacted about their invasion but said no action was taken, which prompted the men of the State Security Network, Amotekun to take the issue up.
He said: “Things went awry when the people of the community noticed the unusual movement of the young men and raised the alarm. All the security agencies distanced themselves from the suspected invaders.
“There are more to the invitation of the men to Ondo State than what many might think but the decision of the state government to send back is the best to avoid calamity.
“I don’t know why the authorities here refused to take up the issue especially when Amotekun beckoned on us to take over the matter because it’s a pure security risk.
“I know our command was contacted but the request to take custody of the suspects was turned down for unknown reasons.”
Tribune Online gathered that both the DSS and Police turned down Amotekuns request to transfer the youths and that informed the decision to move them out of the state entirely with an escort.
It was further gathered that the invasion of the Army barracks came barely two weeks after the transfer of a top-notch of the base to the North-East.
Efforts to confirm from Amotekun in respect of getting cooperation from the DSS and Police were unsuccessful as the Corps Commander declined comments on that.
Meanwhile, the state government has urged the people of the state not to take laws into their hands and should not hesitate to report any strange movement in their community.
Speaking on behalf of the state government, the Commissioner for Information and Orientation in the state, Donald Ojogo, commended the Amotekun corps for handling the situation maturely and professionally.
Ojogo said: “The security situation we found ourselves in the last 72 hours was a very precarious one. If not that it was discretely and professionally handled and well managed by officials of government particularly Amotekun Commander and SSA on security, the situation would have degenerated to the extent of lynching and jungle justice.
“It was almost getting to that point when they were seen in a suspicious manner in Okitipupa but the governor had to rise up to the occasion to ensure that they were given adequate protection so that jungle justice had to be avoided. That was one of the key points that were achieved in the last 72 hours. It was a very frightening situation.
“Ordinarily looking at the insecurity situation in the country, some of these persons would have been molested if not killed but that is not what we want. Whatever is worth doing must be well done and we ensured as a government that they were well protected and taken care of until they were moved out of that danger zone to Akure.
He explained that “What government is trying to do today is to ensure that the way they came to the state, they will leave the state safely, peacefully and unhurt, so that when they get to their various state, they will also testify to their state government and their people that the movement that brought them to Ondo State was an unclear one and the state government had to protect them and move them back to their state.
“But from this moment people should not take laws into their hands even when a movement that is suspicious is identified. Residents of the state must ensure that the relevant authorities are alerted particularly Amotekun.
“That is the best way to handle the precarious security situation we found ourselves in this country. Security is everybody’s business, it’s not only the business of Amotekun, police and Army.”
He said warned government officials from speaking on security issues and said: “I have the instructions and the directive of Mr Governor to use this medium inform everybody, particularly, government officials that any security situation we found ourselves, the first point of contact must be security agencies.
“They are the only points of contact. Even I as Commissioner for Information and spokesperson of government is not authorised to speak on issues related to insecurity, no matter how insensitive it is. As long as it is a security matter, we do not want anybody to speak without proper authorisation.”
Credit to Tribune
Buhari’s Son-in-law, Kumo, Others Allegedly Embezzled N31bn National Housing Fund, ICPC Declares Them Wanted
President Muhammadu Buhari’s son-in-law, Gimba Yau Kumo, and two others were on Thursday declared wanted by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission over diversion and misappropriation of $65 million National Housing fund.
Kumo, a former managing director of the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria, who in 2016 married Buhari’s second daughter Fatima; Tarry Rufus and Bola Ogunsola, were declared wanted over misappropriation and diversion of $65 million National Housing fund.
A statement signed by Azuka C. Ogugua, ICPC Spokesperson, urged the public to provide information about the whereabouts of Mr Kumo and his cohort.
The statement read, “The persons whose pictures appear above, Mr. Tarry Rufus, Mr. Gimba Yau Kumo and Mr.
“Anyone who has useful information on their whereabouts should report to ICPC Headquarters Abuja, any of the ICPC State Offices or the nearest police station.”
Driver arrested for allegedly stealing his principal’s car (photo)
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested one Ibeh George Udoka, for allegedly driving his principal’s Toyota car to Imo State for sale.
A statement released by CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, spokesperson of the state police command, states that on May 4th at about 1pm, one Mrs Akinola Ibironke came to Idimu Police Division and reported that her driver by name Ibeh George Udoka, whom she handed her Toyota Corola vehicle, with Registration No. ABC 801 FU, to deliver to her mechanic for repairs, on 3rd May, 2021, was no where to be found, and his phone number had been switched off.
”The Police operatives attached to Idimu Division of the Lagos State Police Command swung into action and relayed repeated radio messages to all police formations across the country for possible recovery of the car.
In response to the call from Edo State Command and in compliance with the directive of the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, the police operatives from the Lagos State Police Command proceeded to Edo State Command for the recovery and apprehension of the suspect.”Adejobi said
Buhari lauds NDLEA performance, promises to enhance operational capabilities
President Muhammadu Buhari has praised the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on its performance.
Buhari said this during Tuesday’s security council meeting which he presided over at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The agency, whose Chairman, Brig.- Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), was appointed in January, will receive the full support of the Buhari regime to enhance its capabilities and potentials, the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd.), said.
Monguno said he had earlier informed the council on the enabling factors of crime, prominent among which is drugs, and the need to respond swiftly to mitigate its growing threat to society.
He said, “These enablers were discussed in detail and Mr President has already given direction on how to deal with them, specifically issues of drug abuse as propellants for crime, how to make the criminal justice system much more effective, as well as looking at issues of unemployment, which of course, the federal executive council had given approval, through previous memos on how to get 100 million people out of poverty, that was also discussed.
“For the intelligence agencies, they are also operating within certain parameters to suppress these problems, but the most important thing, as I said, is that we have to subjugate all other requirements to deal with the present crisis of insecurity in the country.
“All other national objectives, obligations, have to be subordinated to the primary concern of bringing back security and normalcy to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and allowing the entire citizenry to undertake their legitimate obligations, without any fear of being intimidated or coerced by non-state actors.”
When answering questions on how criminals sneak in arms and train in the bush without intelligence agencies rounding them up, Monguno said, “Yes, you are already aware that a few days ago, the President approved the setting up of the National Commission for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons, which will be domiciled in the Office of the National Security Adviser, side-by-side with the counterterrorism centre.
“Now, these two organs will be like the lead agencies in dealing with these twin evils.
Of course, the issue of smuggling in small arms, light weapons, incendiaries and other dangerous items, is something that has been a nagging issue.
“But there are measures in place, especially with the setting up of this committee, to bring to a speedy end, the challenges posed by the importation of small arms and light weapons.
“And remember, these small arms and light weapons don’t just have one entry point, they have multiple entry points.
“Of course, we are considering the use of other enhancers to deal with these issues.
“Alongside the issue of importation of drugs. This was part of the memo I presented to the National Security Council.
Already, Mr President is very much inspired and motivated by the new leadership in the NDLEA.
“And he is also working on measures to further enhance the capabilities and potentials of the NDLEA, which he is very, very happy about the performance in recent months.
“So for the issue of intelligence, intelligence is doing what intelligence is supposed to do. “And intelligence comes in various forms.
“So we’re also looking at human intelligence to deal with some of these problems that are far more complicated than they appear to the naked eye.”
Politics5 days ago
Incase You Missed It: Hadiza Bala Usman, singlehandedly gave $2 Million to Adams Oshiomhole in Excange for Shehu Sani ticket.
Featured4 days ago
EXCLUSIVE: Armed robbers invade Aso Rock, empty Buhari’s chief of staff Gambari, admin officer Maikano’s residences
Featured1 week ago
Catholic Church Suspends Father Mbaka Over Row With Buhari
Politics6 days ago
BREAKING: Chairmen, Top Politicians Dump APC, Join PDP, See Full List
Featured1 week ago
BREAKING: Father Mbaka reportedly missing – Ohanaeze warns Federal Government
Politics3 days ago
2023: We don’t Want Christian President Again MURIC tells Obasanjo
Crime1 week ago
We were ready to lose students than pay ransom to bandits ~ El-Rufai
Crime1 week ago
EXCLUSIVE: Abuja Schools Shut Down As Truckload Of Bandits Arrives In Border Town